How do ACATs assess the type of care I need?

Whether you live at home or are in hospital, ACATs can visit you to discuss exactly what it is you need.
Team members simply ask you a series of questions that are designed to determine how much and what type of help you need.
With your permission, the ACAT will also make contact with your doctor. This helps them to gain important information about your medical history, which helps with the assessment process.

What are my rights during an assessment?

- To be treated with dignity and respect.
- To be provided with correct and complete information about the assessment process.
- To be listened to.
- To have someone with you, such as a carer, close friend or relative.
- To have an interpreter (which ACAT can arrange).
- To receive independent advice from an advocate, or have them act on your behalf.

What if I’m not happy with my assessment result?

You have the final decision to accept or reject an ACAT recommendation.
If you are unhappy with the recommendations, it is always best to first talk with the person in charge of the ACAT; most concerns can resolved this way.
If you cannot come to an agreement, you can appeal the decision. ACAT will send you a letter that explains how you, or someone acting on your behalf, can do this.

What is an accommodation payment?

Depending on your government mean testing assessment, you may be asked to contribute to the cost of your accommodation in residential care. This may be as either a lump sum payment (Refundable Accommodation Deposit - RAD) or as a regular periodic payment (Daily Accommodation Payment – DAP), or a combination of both.

How much will I be asked to pay?

For residents who are assessed as eligible for government financial assistance, your accommodation contribution will be determined by the government assessment. All other accommodation prices are published on our website for each of our sites, and are regulated by the government. Regardless of your financial situation, you will always get the care you need.

Please call our Care Options Team on 1800 180 781 to discuss your individual circumstances.

How are my assets determined?

Centrelink or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs will determine the fees payable. They are calculated according to the value of your assets.

What happens if I am not eligible to pay an accommodation payment?

If you are assessed as not being eligible to pay a RAD, you will still get the care you need. The residential care service will receive a full rate of government assistance to ensure you receive the highest levels of care.

Will my home be protected?

If you own a home, it will not be counted as an asset if, at the time of the asset assessment or your entry into care (whichever is earlier):
• Your partner or dependent child is living there; or
• A carer eligible for an Australian Government income support payment has been living there for at least two years; or
• A close relative who is eligible for an Australian Government income support payment has been living there for at least five years.

What are my payment options?

Accomodation charges can either be a lump sum payment (Refundable Accommodation Deposit – RAD) or a regular daily payment (Daily Accommodation Payment – DAP), or a combination of both.

If the accommodation charge is paid as a lump sum (RAD) it is refundable, unless you choose to pay other charges from this.

What happens when I leave residential care services?

When you leave, your Refundable Accommodation Deposit (RAD) will be refunded back to you, minus any payments which you have chosen to have deducted from the RAD. The timeframes under which the RAD will be refunded are legislated by the government, and are influenced by your particular circumstances.